Thursday 24 October 2013

Oh England

Missing a place or people has never really been a character trait of mine. Since I was little my parents would send us to my grandparents in DR for months at a time and we would see my dad probably once half way through and my mom would stay for a bit and go back and forth. So that family attachment most people have kinda wasn't instilled in me. Obviously I adore my family but I can manage without seeing them for long periods of time. When I moved to England I knew I was going to be fine being away. These days there is so much technology that it makes it difficult to miss a beat. When I would see pictures of my friends all out together I would wish I was there but it wasn't to the point that I would cry about it haha. 

Living in a country like England made me truly miss the SUN. The warmth is just a part of my existence and not having that was my hardest thing to deal with after the first year. At first everything is new and wonderful and so exciting. Once the second winter came I was a bit bored of being cold every day. By the time the third winter came I really didn't think I could handle it. You just deal though, somehow. Days all roll into one. It is a pretty miserable feeling to wake up in the dark and finish work in the dark. If you haven't experienced it there is no accurate way to describe it. 

Doug and I decided from the get-go that we would do two years in UK and then head back. It ended up being two and a half. It was all great and I loved being there. Our biggest mistake was buying our flights in September to leave the following May. That is a LONG time to know you are moving. It just put me in a bit of a negative place. I felt a bit of bitterness towards England. Looking back now I truly loved and enjoyed my time there. The days of sunshine are possibly the most beautiful experience. It is as if God sprinkles glitter all over the sun kissed towns. Wether  it was cold or warm, it was just the way the sun shone on us that made you feel this epic inner warmth. I lived for those days, at work I would sit out on the bench and just soak up the sun. But in the turn of a day it was back to overcast, cold and dark...one can only take so much! So my longing for the beach and sun just grew and grew as February and March rolled along. I finished work a month early so I could gather my house and my bitter feelings towards my job (thats a whole other story). 

Side note: if you are unhappy at work, it ruins most of your life! To wake up in the morning and feel horrible because you have to go to a job you hate is possibly the worst thing you could do to yourself. 

Anyway, the month of April was truly a delight. The sun shone for me as much as it could. I was happy to wake up in the morning and everything was just fabulous. 

Nearly 6 months into being back home and yesterday I had a hardcore I MISS ENGLAND day!!! I felt it in my heart! Kind of the way I would want to be hanging out with Doug while we lived apart. A deep longing inside me to go and see My family over there, and our flat. I loved our home. I'd love to go to Henley for some hot chocolate and a stroll along the river. A sunday roast. To go walk around the Oracle and worry about how much my parking was going to cost because I just spent the whole day there. To go to The Bull in Sonning for the best chicken and bacon salad you will ever have in your life (hands down). Going to the pub for dinner because we don't feel like cooking. And ordering a sticky toffee pudding. Snuggling on the sofa with our duvet because its so damn cold that you cant feel your toes. Watching prime time television on a Saturday night.....(whats that all about?). Tuesday night movies for 5 quid. Primark! Oh my don't even get me started on London. I really miss the family the most though. And the friends we became so close to. No matter how much technology there is, a five hour time difference makes it so hard to stay in touch properly. It sucks terribly.

The sticky toffee pudding!

Roast potatoes..you dont even know!

Gorgeous sunsets just behind my house

This is a real picture from my phone...how amazing is it! Mmm Magners

October outside my window

Our half ass winters! haha it TRIES to snow but usually fails.

Days at the race course with some bubbly

My little Winston over the road from home


and the wonderful Henley Regatta


I absolutely love being back in miami but I am so excited for when we get to go back to visit! It is like the best of both worlds. 

Cheers! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment